Frequently Asked Question
WhatsApp recently announced a pricing-related policy change that will affect how you are charged. This change goes into effect February 1, 2022 and impacts all businesses using WhatsApp.
This article provides additional details and addresses some of the questions you may have about WhatsApp’s policy change.
What does this mean?
Starting February 1, 2022, WhatsApp will change its pricing to a conversation-based model. Businesses will be charged per conversation going forward.
Depending on your number of conversations, you may incur usage-based fees in addition to any other WhatsApp-related charges you may already be paying.
See here for a detailed explanation on how the new pricing policy works.
What is a WhatsApp “conversation”?
- A WhatsApp conversation consists of messages exchanged between you and your customers. They fall into two categories that are priced differently:
- User-initiated (think customer care and general support inquiries)
- Business-initiated (think post-purchase notifications)
- All conversations are measured in 24-hour increments, or "sessions."
- A session starts upon delivery of a business reply to a user-initiated message or delivery of a business-initiated message to a user, and ends 24 hours later.
How are conversations charged?
- Charges are based on the end user’s phone number and rates vary by market. Click here for details.
- The first 1,000 conversations each month are free.
- Any customers with more than 1,000 conversations per month will incur additional fees.
While we are not able to provide you with specifics at this time, we’re working on a way to help you better estimate your charges based on historical usage and will follow up with additional information.
What is the difference between the current and the new WhatsApp pricing model?
WhatsApp’s current pricing model is based on the number of Message Templates sent outside of an end-user-initiated conversation window. Full details here.
The new WhatsApp pricing model is based on a number of 24-hour conversation sessions. Learn more here
Who is affected by this change?
This change affects all Moplet customers who have an active WhatsApp integration, regardless of subscription plan or add-on license. Any account with an estimate of more than 1,000 conversations will be impacted by this new pricing model.
What do I need to do?
Moplet is actively working with WhatsApp to streamline this process, and therefore no action is required on your part. This change will happen automatically, and you will see the new usage-based fee on your next invoice after it goes into effect. Please note that you will receive a monthly invoice for usage going forward, regardless of the billing cycle you are on (e.g., monthly, quarterly, or annual).
Please contact your account manager if you have questions or need additional support.